The body does have the natural ability to eliminate toxins through the skin, liver, kidneys and intestines. It has been doing so since the beginning of time. However times have changed. We are no longer living in a natural environment without toxins. Our lifestyles have changed dramatically over the past 100 years. On a daily basis we are exposed to dangerous chemicals in the air we breathe and the foods we eat. The human body is being bombarded with more toxic attacks and at a rate that's next to impossible to keep up with. Here are a few examples of harmful substances we take in:
- We breathe in air that has been poisoned with chemicals. Air pollutants exist in everyday products such as fragrances, paints, glues, scented candles, bug sprays and so forth. Toxins are also introduced through the air from vehicle exhausts, commercial processes, energy production, electronics and many other sources.
- We eat foods loaded with chemicals - agricultural pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, fertilisers, stabilisers, preservatives, growth hormones, pharmaceuticals, artificial dyes and flavourings, and more.
- Our daily intake of water is much lower than it should be. Instead, we consume beverages such as soda, coffee, and sugary juices.
- We apply dozens of chemicals to our skin. The average female will use 12 products on their skin every day, each containing at least 10 different chemicals.
So how often and how should I detox my body? How often depends on your existing diet and the environment you live in. Being an urbanised citizen I try to detox one weekend every other month. I use the Gerson Therapy as the base for my detox programme. The goal of the Gerson Therapy is to restore all essential organs in the human body. It is a natural alternative dietary therapy which has proved to cure cancer and most chronic, degenerative diseases. Best represented by its dietary component, the Gerson Therapy recommends a low-fat, salt-free program of food to supply the body's cells with nutrients for strengthening one's natural immune defences. The Gerson Therapy diet includes organically grown fresh fruits and vegetables and 13 freshly made juices per day, taken at hourly intervals. The foods should contain no residual pesticides and fungicides. No meat is allowed. For the body detoxification component, Dr. Gerson recommends coffee enemas, which can be self-administered several times daily. It is important to do the enemas in conjunction with the diet and juices to help detoxify the liver. Caffeine taken rectally stimulates the liver activity, increases bile flow and opens bile ducts so that the liver can excrete toxic waste more easily. Coffee enemas are excellent for preventive medicine as well as for treatment. By bringing back important nutrients and eliminating toxins, we can regain the lost defence and healing power if we return as close as possible to the laws of nature as they are created.
My weekend detox
- Food shopping: Organic fruit and vegetables such as spinach, kale, chard, celery, beetroot, carrots, apples, pears, bananas, tomatoes, red peppers, parsnip, cauliflower, broccoli, butternut squash and so forth.
- Organic coffee for enemas
- Enema kit (available on Amazon and at most pharmacies & health stores)
- A good quality juicer (if you do not have one already). Centrifugal juicers are not recommended as they do not extract sufficient enzymes. You should either use a masticating juicer or a two-step machine, with a grinder and a hydraulic press.
09:00 1 cup of apple and carrot juice
10:00 1 cup of carrot, spinach & beetroot juice
10:30 cooked plate of sugar snap peas
11:00 1 cup of apple and parsnip juice
11:30 coffee enema
12:00 1 cup of apple and carrot juice
12:30 red pepper and tomato soup
13:00 1 cup of kale, spinach, celery and pear juice
13:30 mixed green leaves and pear salad with flaxseed oil and lemon juice dressing
14:00 1 cup of courgette, apple and carrot juice
15:00 1 cup of apple, carrot and beetroot juice
16:00 1 cup of courgette, celery and pear juice
16:30 cooked plate of broccoli and cauliflower
17:00 1 cup of red pepper, spinach and courgette juice
17:30 butternut squash and garlic soup
18:00 1 cup broccoli, carrot and apple juice
18:30 oven-roasted red peppers, onions and garlic
19:00 1 cup of carrot juice
20:00 1 cup of apple and parsnip juice
21:00 1 cup broccoli, tomato and celery juice
21:30 coffee enema
- A step by step guide on how to do a coffee enema can be found here .
- The equipment you will need for a coffee enema.
- To learn more about the Gerson Therapy for prevention and/or treatment of diseases, I suggest you read The Gerson Therapy: the Proven Nutritional Program for Cancer and Other Illnesses.